The student newspaper of Vernon Hills High School

The Scratching Post

Filed under News, Showcase

Freshman Sophomore Play to be a great display

Underclassmen prepare 'The Seussification of Romeo and Juliet'

Director Olivia Candocia and cast members of

Director Olivia Candocia and cast members of "The Seussification of Romeo and Juliet" gather for a group photo.

This year’s annual Freshman Sophomore Play is “The Seussification of Romeo and Juliet.”

The show is essentially the love story of “Romeo and Juliet,” but with less gore and more rhymes. It mostly takes influence from Dr. Seuss and his unique writing style.

“It’s really fun, and it’s really fast paced, which makes it kinda crazy, but really exciting at the same time,” cast member Orly Trachtman (9) said.

Katelyn Kries (9) explained how honored she feels to share the important message of the play.

“’The Seussification of Romeo and Juliet’ is basically a metaphor for the pain we have to go through in life, and it means so much to us that we get to put this on ourselves,” she said.

Director Olivia Candocia is the newest member of the theater team. She graduated from Vernon Hills High School in 2012 and studied acting at Illinois State University. Ms. Candocia is ecstatic to be working with the students, and they are thrilled to be acting.

“They are so awesome. It’s freshman and sophomores too, so I feel like they are still young enough to influence,” Candocia said.

Candocia is the new director, and some may wonder about the usual director, Mr. Phelan. This is actually Mr. Phelan’s first time taking on a supporting role, rather than being director.

“My wife, Jennifer Phelan, designed the set, working very closely with the director,” Phelan said. “It’s going to look very much like the inside of a Seuss book. It’s going to be painted in those colors, so it will be really fun.”

Students seem to be enjoying the antics of the play, as they value the opportunity to have fun, while also being creative.

“Well, I love theater; I’ve doing it since second grade. It’s really fun and I feel like it’s a really cool way to express yourself,” Trachtman said.

Kieren Bell (10) explained that theater can be a good way to try new things.

“The entire year last year, I worked sound on every show, so all I’ve done is crew, and this is the first time I’ve ever acted. It’s pretty lit,” Bell said.

Phelan explained that the show will be moderately short and great for the whole family.

“You should expect a show that’s just really fun to watch. It’s based on ‘Romeo and Juliet,’ but it has a lot more influence from Seuss in it,” Phelan said.

The play is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 27 and Thursday, Sept. 28, with a $5 admission fee for adults and $4 for students.

• Freshman Sophomore Play to be a great display

News

Vernon Hills students travel to Uganda

News

New year, new website

News

District 128 introduces Global Goals Initiative

News

Clouds eclipse students’ solar expectations

News

Observing the eclipse: Q&A with Mr. Prosise

News

A world with quantum computers

News

The transportation of the future: Uber’s self driving cars

News

Teach ’em how to say goodbye

News

Women’s march: Chicago and beyond

News

Trump’s mixed bag of cabinet picks