The student newspaper of Vernon Hills High School

The Scratching Post

Filed under Features

Students and teachers share nine tips for 9th grade

As a new school year begins, The Scratching Post asked teachers and students for their best advice for Freshmen. Some common pieces of advice were “don’t procrastinate” or “do your homework.” Despite these common phrases, many students and staff provided in depth advice. Below, we’ve listed their best pieces of advice for students in the 9th grade

1. “Form good adult relationships with your teachers; you may need their help in the future.” — Mr. Isabelli, English Teacher
  2. “Look up the required GPA for at least 1-2 colleges you are interested in. Even though it is only freshman year, find out where you need to start your GPA.” — Mrs. Ferolo, Librarian
  3. “Talk to people in class; don’t always be on your phone. Before and during class is where you will meet some of your closest friends.” — Giovanna Terry (11)
  4. “Use your locker so that you don’t break your back. It also makes it easier to keep yourself organized.” — Lexi Rootberg (10)
  5. “This is super specific, but when you work on a research project, use the suggested resources. That’s the best way to ensure a good grade.” — Mrs. Tolva, Librarian
  6. “You don’t always need to use the main stairwell; there are three other staircases throughout the school. Also, treat the stairs and halls as a road. You always stay on your right side. Make sure to only walk two people wide at a time, and don’t stop in the middle of the hallway. These seem super insignificant, but it helps keep everyone moving between class.” — Katie Gheysen (11)
  7. “Stay on top of everything and seize every opportunity you can. The more you do, the more fun you will have.¨ — Jessie Ripes (12)
  8. “Taking chances is better than playing it safe. Be open to the experiences the school offers.” — Dani Tsvilikhovskaya (10)
  9. “High school is where you find yourself and grow as a person. Just have fun, be yourself, and always remember to not worry about what other people say about you. If you know who you are, then that’s all that matters.” — Tony Brown (11)

Overall, enjoy your high school experience, but take it seriously. These next four years are full of opportunities and freedoms. By taking advantage of every one of these activities, you will truly find yourself.

• Students and teachers share nine tips for 9th grade

Features

The “Curtains” open up on an amazingly talented cast

Features

Safe Travels: Teachers and students reflect on safety of school trips to Europe

Features

The circus of Homecoming

Features

Dress code leaves room for subjectivity

Features

Most Quotable Teacher: Ross Caton

Features

Birds of a Feather Clique Together

Features

Introd(UC)ing a new resource area: Taking a look at the Upper Commons

Features

How to survive junior year

Features

How I will survive senior year

Features

How to start a YouTube channel