The student newspaper of Vernon Hills High School

The Scratching Post

Filed under Sports

O’Connell and Cougars On The Prowl

DH Preps

DH Preps

O’Connell(12) Drives to basket against GBN(DH Preps)

Jack O’Connell (12) is the Cougars’ only returning starter from last year. Guard Chris Mariella (12) and forward Jack Forester (12) were also on the team; however, they didn’t have much playing time. With this inexperience, the Cougars are looking toward the 6’1 guard O’Connell to lead.

“He is our captain. His diverse skill set helps out the team so much,” said Forester. O’Connell uses his play on the court to lead. He has a lengthy body, great speed, and athleticism, which allows him to play any position on the floor.

“The best thing about Jack is his defense. Jack working hard on both ends of the court pushes the rest of the team to do the same,” said Mariella. In a home game against Grayslake North, O’Connell had three blocks in the first quarter alone. His defense helps the team get the fast break going on offense and score more points.

Ever since O’Connell could remember, he has had a basketball in his hands. He started playing competitively when he was in 3rd grade and since then, the competitive side of the game is what has driven him.

“Jack never wants to lose in anything. Whether we are doing a simple shooting drill, or a scrimmage in practice, he always wants to win,” said Forester. O’Connell’s win or die attitude will hopefully help with the Cougars later on in the season. The team is looking to capture their first sectional title of all time. The team started off rough, but is finally catching their stride.

“Our goal is to make it to the state finals. After what happened with the football team, we are hungry,” said O’Connell. The return of Mariella and Peyton Foster (11) from the football team are really helping the Cougars take off. The team has been putting up a fight against teams much bigger than them.

The team hopes to catch their stride soon and keep it going into the playoffs. Their goal is to get the Sectional title and O’Connell is set to lead them there. Be prepared for a fun postseason with our basketball team.

• O’Connell and Cougars On The Prowl

Sports

Girls’ Volleyball sets off the season

• O’Connell and Cougars On The Prowl

Sports

Vernon Hills Football Team aims to live up to high expectations

• Sports

Rise of Badminton at VHHS

• O’Connell and Cougars On The Prowl

Sports

Winter sport state qualifiers

• O’Connell and Cougars On The Prowl

Sports

2017 Spring sports preview

• O’Connell and Cougars On The Prowl

Sports

MLB season preview: can the Cubs repeat?

• Sports

2017 NFL playoff review

• O’Connell and Cougars On The Prowl

Sports

Rebuilding the Chicago Bears

• O’Connell and Cougars On The Prowl

Sports

Football team makes history

• O’Connell and Cougars On The Prowl

Sports

1908-2016: Cubs making history

O’Connell and Cougars On The Prowl