The student newspaper of Vernon Hills High School

The Scratching Post

4 days of fun: Lollapalooza 2K16

Julia Kagan

Julia Kagan

Dylan Cohen, Staff Reporter

The annual three-day-extravaganza that students save all year for has been extended to an additional fourth day this year.

“It’s our 25th Anniversary and we wanted to do something really special and different for our fans.” Lollapalooza founder, Perry Farrell said, “So, we’ve put together an entire additional day of music to celebrate our milestone year.”

These four-day passes come to a whopping total of $335, and will get the attendee general admission to over 170 different musical performances. Each concert is scheduled within the hours of 10 AM – 11 PM, and is spread throughout 8 stages in Grant Park.

Although the festival is geared towards the music, the true ‘Lolla experience’ is what keeps people coming back year after year.

“I’ve gone the past three years,” Sam Perez (11) said, “I’m going four days [this year] because it’s super fun and three days last year wasn’t enough!”

With Chicago’s best eats, the excitement of staying downtown with friends, art markets, seeing countless amounts of concerts, and aftershows, who wouldn’t want to experience Lollapalooza?

“This is my first time going to Lolla,” Kelly Li (11) said, “I decided to go this year because my friends were going for the first time as well.”

However, four days can seem a bit overwhelming and expensive. With a lesser cost of $120, a one-day pass is a great way to experience Lolla for the first time.

“I’m only going one day” Li said, “tickets are so pricey.”

Lolla is understandably expensive, though. Some of this year’s headliners include J. Cole, Lana Del Rey, G-Eazy, The 1975, Radiohead, Future, M83, Martin Garrix, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Disclosure, Ellie Goulding, Flume, Halsey, and much much more. Imagine: paying to see 3-4 concerts in one day.

“I’m looking forward to a great day of amazing music,” Li said, “I’m especially excited to see The 1975.”

One thing to keep in mind while scheduling your 4-day Lolla euphoria is the distance between each concert.

“On Friday, I plan to see Lewis Del Mar, MO, Cherub, M83, Future, A$AP Ferg, and Major Lazer.” Perez said, “I’ll probably only see half of them because they’re pretty close to each toher in times, but far in distance.”

“I’m probably going to see Bastille, The 1975, and then Flosstradamus at the very end” Li said.

But, if you plan on going to Lolla this year, there are some crucial things to keep in mind.

“Stay hydrated and don’t go to go to any performances hungry,” Perez warns, “you will hate yourself, I guarantee.”

Another reminder is that the nature of Lollapalooza is so “go with the flow” that you might not get the exact experience you plan on paper.

As Perez put it, an assumption that some make about Lolla is, “that you’ll see everyone you planned on seeing, and you won’t get dirty. Don’t wear anything too nice!”

So, if you think you are ready to tackle the additional day of Lollapalooza, get ready for a wild ride.

“It’s going to be a fantastic party!” Farrell said.

• 4 days of fun: Lollapalooza 2K16

Opinion

A freshman’s opinion on Freshman Transition

• 4 days of fun: Lollapalooza 2K16

Opinion

Closing the political divide at VHHS

• 4 days of fun: Lollapalooza 2K16

Opinion

Do students care too much about grades?

• 4 days of fun: Lollapalooza 2K16

Opinion

Finding solace through journaling

• 4 days of fun: Lollapalooza 2K16

Opinion

It’s on us

• 4 days of fun: Lollapalooza 2K16

Opinion

Pop Culture Then vs. Now

• 4 days of fun: Lollapalooza 2K16

Opinion

Listen to these fantastically scored shows

• Opinion

Ways To Reinvent Yourself

• 4 days of fun: Lollapalooza 2K16

Opinion

The Ticket review

• Opinion

Fashion trends of Spring 2017

4 days of fun: Lollapalooza 2K16