The student newspaper of Vernon Hills High School

The Scratching Post

Filed under Sports

Winter sports preview

Girl’s Basketball:

girls-bball

Becky Bahlman (12)

Key Players: “Kayla Caudle(10) because she is a powerhouse in the post, and Katie Burrows (12) because she sets up and runs the offense extremely well.”

Goals: “The goal this season is to win the new conference and hopefully make it to sectionals.”

Challenges: “Adjusting to the new conference opponents is going to be difficult. Also, the team is young, so we don’t have a lot of experience when it comes down to late game situations.”

Hardest Opponent: “I don’t know yet because we are playing in a new conference this year”

Boy’s Basketball:

boys-bball

Jack Forester(12)

Key Players: “We don’t have much experience, only Jack O’Connell(12) actually got playing time from this group last year and the only seniors are Chris Mariella(12), Jack, and myself. We also have Derrick Jones(11) and Dylan Webb(9) who are strong players.”

Goals: “Goal as a team is to win the second regional title in school history and go farther than that”

Challenges: “[One challenge] is experience. We only have three seniors, and like I said, one got playing time last year.”

Hardest Opponent: “Deerfield is historically tough and have a lot of returning players. They made it to the sectional final in one of the toughest 4A brackets, so I expect them to be good this year.”

Boy’s Bowling:

boys-bowling

McNemon Vincent (12)

Key Players: “Everyone is going to be important this season. It’s a team effort. Everyone is going to have to step up.”

Goals: “For the team the goal should be going down to state, but we can’t focus on that now. We need to take it one match at a time. As an individual I would want to go down to state. However, I would rather go down with my team rather than going as an individual.”

Challenges: “The new conference we are in is very good at bowling. Also, we have a lot of incoming freshman, but not a lot of upperclassmen, so experience can be a challenge as well.”

Hardest Opponent: “Glenrook North, because they are known to be good, but the new conference might have a lot of good bowling teams that we don’t know about yet.”

Girl’s Bowling:

girls-bowling

Emily Carido (12)

Key Players: “I think one key player this year would have to be Alex Napierkowski(12). She went really far last year and placed in Sectionals, so I’m excited to see how she’s going to do this year.”

Goals: “Last year we really bonded as a team since we knew it was the seniors’(graduates of 2016) last year. When it comes to bowling, I feel that the group is more of a family. I expect and hope for our group to not only have the same bond but improve as individual players and as a team”

Challenges: “Getting back into the swing of things is always a bit of a challenge. There are some girls on the team who bowl on individual leagues during the offseason, and some of us bowl for fun. Everyone starts the season coming from different skill levels, and learning to work together and improve overall is something we’ll work on as the season passes.”

Hardest Opponent: “Warren. We know a few girls who will definitely be some tough opponents, but I’m sure our team will be able to learn from the experience no matter what the outcome is.”

There are other sports our fellow students participate in and they need our support. There is  Girl’s Gymnastics, Wrestling, Dance, Hockey, Cheerleading, and Boy’s Swim and Dive.

So go out and support your fellow cougars as they attempt to bring home another trophy.

• Winter sports preview

Features

Genius hour to an app launch: UNITE

• Winter sports preview

Showcase

Turnabout vs. Winterfest

• Winter sports preview

Showcase

2017 Spring sports preview

• Winter sports preview

Showcase

Vernon Hills vs. Mellody Farm

• Winter sports preview

Showcase

Logan: the middle man to a new generation

• Winter sports preview

Features

Turning back the clock: our first turnabout experience

• Opinion

Fashion trends of Spring 2017

• Winter sports preview

Features

How to turn a hobby into a career: Wayne Miller and WayneMGraphics

• Winter sports preview

Features

Genius hour to an app launch: UNITE

• Winter sports preview

Sports

Winter sport state qualifiers

Winter sports preview