The student newspaper of Vernon Hills High School

The Scratching Post

Dance team goes to state

Erica Segall, Staff reporter

The Vernon Hills Varsity Dance Team learned new dance styles, competed against new teams, and overcame many injuries this winter season.
This year the varsity dancers competed with a contemporary jazz routine which was choreographed by a guest choreographer.  The guest choreographer was Sarah Ford, from Inaside Chicago Dance. Ford received her training in jazz, ballet, and tap at Colombia College in Chicago. Also, the dancers learned a pom routine choreographed by captains Josie Amidei (12), Kim Kamman (12), Chantal Brobst (12), Kendall Dickman (12), and coach Beth Brilowski.
“My favorite dance was our jazz dance because it was so fierce and was a different style that we had never really seen before,” varsity dancer Kim Kamman (12) said.
Last year’s varsity team consisted of mostly seniors and juniors. Since all of those seniors left, the seniors now had to step up and lead the new team.
“I’m most proud of us not giving up just because we lost so many seniors this past year and working hard to make it to the finals,” varsity dancer Meghan Singer (grade) said.
On top of that, at the end of the fall season the team had four members with injuries. However, the dancers adapted and stepped up into the positions of the injured.
The team performed their jazz and pom routine at their regional competitions. When it was time for conference, they danced the jazz routine and placed sixth overall in the North Suburban Conference (NSC) out of 12 teams. At sectionals the team came together and performed their jazz routine, therefore placing second and meaning they qualified for state.
“My favorite moment this season was at Sectionals when we found out we got second place and were heading for State,” Kamman said. “It was my fourth and final time qualifying for state, and I remember crying because I was so happy and proud of my team.”
On January 29th the team drove down to Bloomington, Illinois to the IHSA Competitive Dance State competition. The first day, the varsity team placed 6th in state preliminaries, out of thirty teams.
“My favorite memory was the first day of state when we found out we made it to the second day,” varsity dancer Jessie Ripes (10) said. “We were all so excited and we all had a great time together.”
On Saturday, the team finished off their season with 10th in state finals.

• Dance team goes to state

Features

Genius hour to an app launch: UNITE

• Dance team goes to state

Showcase

Turnabout vs. Winterfest

• Dance team goes to state

Showcase

2017 Spring sports preview

• Dance team goes to state

Showcase

Vernon Hills vs. Mellody Farm

• Dance team goes to state

Showcase

Logan: the middle man to a new generation

• Dance team goes to state

Features

Turning back the clock: our first turnabout experience

• Opinion

Fashion trends of Spring 2017

• Dance team goes to state

Features

How to turn a hobby into a career: Wayne Miller and WayneMGraphics

• Dance team goes to state

Features

Genius hour to an app launch: UNITE

• Dance team goes to state

Sports

Winter sport state qualifiers

Dance team goes to state